Saturday, December 20, 2014

"Fear is a mind killer. I will face my fear and let it pass through me...when it is gone, only I will remain." Dune.

I am dating myself when bringing up a favorite line from Designing Women "...I do not care what anyone says. The man should kill the bug." Delta Burk, I believe said it. I hate bugs while cleaning my apartment I stopped dead in thy tracks. There was something moving on my floor instantly I was reliving a horrific moment in Austin TX.
My partner at the time Mark and I had our usual Sunday barbeque with friends playing cards. Perry Rhodes III was there. Out from no where came this huge water bug (roach on steroids) walking across the wall closest to me. Slowly I got out of my seat Picking up a news paper. Steady was I be careful not to have become aware of my intentions.
While on approach, from what I thought was the blind side of the creature. I started to raise my arm preparing for the final stage of what was to be the killing stroke. The beast caught site of me and instead of fleeing, it flew right at me. The next thing I remember was coming to my senses in our pool which was two flights of stairs and a patio full of people (now laughing).
There are few creatures in this world I live in that can raise the hair on the back of my neck. None as deadly as the water bug that night in Austin TX.
I will be ready for them when I return home December 30th. Making sure to check under the bed before I drift off into the sweet oblivion of sleep. I well know that fumigating does not work. For they are not house roaches but live in the trees.
I ask for your prayers as I return to face potentially my greatest adversary. No it is not the water bug. It is what it represents. The ability of such a tiny being to cause the "fight or flight" response to kick into overdrive. Is far too humbling for me to stomach. I, person who stood his ground killing a German Shepard mixed dog, when it dared to threaten my life and that of my puppy. It had to go (granted I did have stitches).
"Fear is a mind killer, I will face my fears and let it pass through me. And when it is gone, only I will remain." Alright geeks and I must include my self in that category reading all of the books including the ones co written by his son. If that was not a big enough clue then you are not a fan.
Taken by Andrew Adam Caldwell

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers