Monday, November 17, 2014

Empathy, with another human being comes not from walking in their shoes. It comes from having similar life experiences

"I know am far away from you. I am a no body in the Caribbean and in the world, but u are a handsome black man, wish I could meet you or even talk to you." (out of respect he will remain anonymous)

Empathy, with another human being comes not from walking in their shoes. It comes from having similar life experiences. Looking for what I have in common, instead of what makes me different. 

Request such as the one made, hit me hard. What he ask from his perspective is more than reasonable. He only wants what we all want and that is to find someone we can share with.  Unattainable expectations have been placed on my shoulder. There is not enough time in the day to respond.  Even if I where to forgo everything else in my life and only respond to similar messages.  I have tried and failed repeatedly the cost included neglecting family, friends and challenging my own serenity.

My ego running rampant, to believe I was capable of doing such a thing. The interest achieved over  the years of hard work have come with  a price. I rarely make time to speak with my family and have lost old friends when they where not at the top of the list when it came to how I prioritized my days. I understand completely. Five years ago, when I chose this path. I asked a few who had been in the industry what I would need to do to have any measure of success. Driven was the common denominator along with the career taking top bill over almost everything else. At least in the first 4-5 years. Likely much longer depending upon where I

wish to take it.

Balance in my life must include a life outside of this. I can not write about what is going on if I do not experience them first hand.  Some have asked me "When will I return to working in the industry?"

All of these things have one thing in common. Time is required to achieve them. I was reminded of my limitations today when I woke to darkness. I had slept the entire day away. This only happens when I have pushed my body so hard that it pushes back and sleep is no longer up for discussion.

I will share little on the following subject and ask that you do not bring it up for I will not reply. It is of a family matter and I make it a habit only to speak of myself. Leaving friends and family out of my public life. The past few months I have three close family members in and out of the hospital. With one still there. I will be returning to my home town soon for that very reason.

I am grateful to any who takes the time out of their lives to write me. I asked that you accept my limitations. I posed this simple question to any who believe that I bare ill will on them and that is the reason why I have not responded.

How can I have any feelings be them good or bad if we have yet to meet? It is more likely that at present time I am simply unable to respond. 

Buster Sly
Sylvester L Neal.

1 comment:

  1. Hope all is fine with you and your family my friend. Wishing you nothing but the best.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Followers