Saturday, January 6, 2018

"I do the right thing" not because of a promise of a brighter future. I "do the right thing" because it is in my heart to do so.

Not too long ago a person born in the United States of median income could choose to live a life similar to their parents or take a different path by continuing their education and be who they wanted to be. That was the "American Dream". It was albeit brief period obtainable to most Americans born in the United States. The Federal Government went so far as to encourage this movement. Pell grants to offset the expenses for the families who could not shoulder the entire burden. Student loans at low-interest rates gave hope to many of a brighter future. All we had to do was work for it.

The United States that once offered a promise of a better life for most Americans has been circumvented by the top 5% of the wealthiest Americans and the politicians they control through campaign financing. Why else would a sitting President allow a grant used to assist students in need to end? When he chose not to sign when it came up for renewal. The ever-increasing cost of continued education. Soon to be unattainable save for the uber-rich Americans. Look not into the recent past to see the truth of it. In the here and now we have politicians who no longer bother hiding behind the guise of a public servant passed into law by way of the recent restructuring of taxation. The removal of a tax break for people who took advantage of a student loan with the hope of a brighter future. Do they want indentured servants upon completion of one's education? Or/and to discourage most from even trying.

If the politicians and those behind them think of us as sheep. "We The People" need to stop being compliant and take our heads out of the proverbial sand. There is a reason behind this attack. On more than one front are we under siege. I understand the fear and its paralyzing effect. When I was a child laying in my bed at night. I might have been inclined to stay perfectly still hoping against hope maybe he would not notice me and pick someone else. The truth I came to understand was even when I was not singled out? Still was I damaged by the sounds of another being victimized while I did nothing. I learned a valuable lesson early in my life new to this world. They never just go away. Not until I learned to turn the light on them. Dismissing the lies and half-truths. Are we to stand alone or together? The answer for me is simple. I stand.

It is not just our country that is suffering under this current regime/administration. What is being done across the globe in our name (United States of America) is shameful at best. I grow tired and will speak my truth more on this subject later.

I know full well what this country does to one who would be the bearer of bad news. Throughout history, it never ends well. Yet I am compelled to speak my truth no matter the consequences and the suffering that at times follows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers